Citing a lack of work and mouths to feed, brothers Larry and Roger Buist struck out on their own and bought their first piece of property, an old service station on an acre with 2000 sq. ft. of warehouse space in the heart of Byron Center, Michigan. By the beginning of 1965, the business started to grow, and Rog and Larry hired their first employees: John Buist, their father, and Roger Sterk. Roger is still employed today!
The business continued to grow, prosper, and expand. A 2240 sq. ft. warehouse was added, and employees numbered about 30.
Buist Electric purchased 4 acres of property adjacent to the gas station. Buist employees numbered about 40. The very next year they added 1750 sq. ft. for office and parking area, and 3500 sq. ft. warehouse space and again expanded the parking area.
Another addition of 10200 sq. ft. for warehouse and also converted some warehouse space to office.
Buist Electric found themselves with 5500 sq. ft. of office space and 14500 sq. ft. of warehouse space. They employed about 95 employees. Their work was mainly within 100 miles of Byron Center.
Buist Electric expanded their services and added Buist Network Solutions, later called Buist Communications.
Buist Electric adopted the corporate motto “Raising the Standard” in the electrical industry.
Removed 2 apartments and storage space that occupied the second floor and made office space and conference/education rooms.
Dec 29, 2005
Buist Electric becomes an Employee Owned Company (ESOP).
April 1, 2006
Buist Electric expands into the Kalamazoo market with the purchase of Tutor Electric.
Buist Electric celebrates its 45th year anniversary.